Do a Self-Evaluation
Make an appointment with counselors to review progress & plan senior year courses
- Identify college criteria important to you
- Schedule time for computer search in Guidance (CHOICES)
- Create list of 8-10 schools using College Handbook, Index of College Majors, Catalogs, Bulletins, Friends, People, in the field.
- Plan Spring Visits
- Plan appropriate dates for the SAT I, ACT, AP and/ or SAT II
- Attend WLHS College Plan Night
- Complete Course Selection Sheets
- Junior Resumes
- Junior Mock Interviews
- Make initial visits to colleges during Spring Break
- Review SAT I scores and narrow choices
- Attend Howard High School Military Academy Night
Request teacher recommendations letters (Submit resumes to teacher)
- Complete college visits and interviews
- Gather information on which you will base your final college choices
- Outline and write (if possible) any essay that may be necessary for applications
- Request college applications and catalogs
- Prepare a college comparison checklist
- Complete military academy ROTC applications
- Update resumes, parent release forms, teacher recommendations and student profile.
- Senior credit check with counselor.
- Sign up for visiting college representatives and career speakers.
- Check personal decision days and Early Admission deadlines
- Check Deadlines for AP, SAT, ACT, and SAT II
- Plan final college visits
- Request teacher recommendations giving adequate time to teachers, copy's of resume letters go directly to Guidance registrar
- Submit "Early Decision" applications.
- Confirm application deadlines and admissions policies
- Complete personal recommendations forms
- Visit College Fairs- Howard County, Baltimore County, and Washington, D.C.
- Narrow choice(s) to one(s) that coincide(s) with your needs
- Send Application to college/trade/technical school of your choice
- One dream School
- One or two satisfactory choice
- One back-up
- Check deadlines for AP, SAT, ACT, and SAT II
- Pick up FAFSA and Financial Aid Profile Applications
- Attend financial Aid Workshop (TBA)
- Check your scholarship deadlines
- Verify your name on diploma list (senior credit check with counselors)
- Applications for MD state schools must be mailed by Dec 1
- Early Decision and rolling admission decision will be received.
- File Financial Aid Profile and FAFSA (includes MD State Scholarship)
- Make an appointment to send mid-year grades to the colleges of your choice
- Final deadlines for most private colleges
- Indicated interest in AP exams to department chairmen
- Talk with military, trade and technical school representatives about opportunities
- Visit trade/technical schools to evaluate their programs-Apply to schools of your choice
- Local scholarship interviews will be held.
- Sign up for AP exams
- Private College Acceptances will be mailed
- Notify guidance secretary of all acceptances
- AP exams are offered
- Notify acceptances and rejections in writing. Submit stamped address envelope for final transcript to registrations.