School Rules - FAQ
What are the dress code expectations?
Any clothing that is disruptive to the school day, as determined by an administrator.
- All shirt sleeves must be at least three fingertips in width and cover both shoulders.
- All shorts/skirts must be at least index fingertip length (when holding your arms down by the sides of your body; we’ll provide demonstrations on the first day of school). Undergarments, midriffs, or cleavage should not be visible.
- Headgear, including sunglasses, scarves, hoods, and hats, may not be worn in the building (except those permitted in HCPSS Policy 9210). Items may be confiscated by a staff member.
- All clothing, bookbags, notebooks and other personal items must be free of references to profanity, alcohol, drugs, violence, sexual activity, or any other topic that could be disruptive to the school environment.
- All parts of the HCPSS dress code Policy 9210) are in effect.
Any student violating the dress code will be asked to correct the violation or will be provided with a large t-shirt and/or sweatpants to borrow for the day.
What are attendance expectations for students?
Students must be in class, ready to learn, at 7:25 AM each morning.
Lateness to School (period 1) Consequences:
- Steps 1 & 2 - conference with administrator
- Steps 3 & 4 - morning/afternoon detention; conference with administrator; parent contact
- Steps 5 & 6 - administrative referral resulting in Friday School or Saturday School
- Further infractions - administrative referral; parent conference; in-school/out-of-school intervention or suspension
Lateness to Class (periods 2 - 6) Consequences:
The following consequences will be imposed for unexcused late arrivals to class. If a student misses 20 minutes or more of instructional time, it is considered an absence from class
- Step 1 - Teacher/Student conference
- Step 2 & 3 - Detention with teacher and teacher notifies parent
- Step 4 - Office referral
Class Cut Consequences:
Students who are illegally absent from a class will receive no credit for the day. The following consequences will be imposed for students who cut class:
- Step 1 - Detention with teacher and teacher notifies parent
- Step 2 - Office Referral
Leaving School Grounds - Saturday School in addition to above consequence
When must students depart the building at the end of the school day?
The school day ends at 2:10pm. All students must depart the school property or be under the direct supervision of a Wilde Lake staff member or coach by 2:20 PM.
Where may students eat and drink in the building?
Food and drink may only be consumed in the cafeteria. If students keep the area clean, they may eat lunch outside the building, directly in front of the cafeteria, during their assigned lunch shift. Bottled water, in a disposable water bottle or clear reusable bottle, is the only exception during the school day, pending teacher approval.
How are students expected to interact with staff members, visitors, and other students?
Students should identify themselves by name to an adult and follow an adult’s directions when requested. All verbal and non-verbal communication should be respectful and polite, avoiding the use of profanity, harassment, bullying, and derogatory language. For additional information, refer to the HCPSS Civility Policy (Policy 1000) and the HCPSS Student Code of Conduct.